Pocket watches value
Watches collecting is a relatively young area, compared with collecting coins and stamps. Although interest in this area is growing, but not enough information yet, it is too fragmented, and sometimes even incorrect.
The value of any collectible is defined demand. Without demand there is no market. In trading hours law of supply and demand also applies. As soon as the offer of any reduced hours, immediately raises the demand for them among collectors. There are many factors that increase the demand for watches.
The most valuable are always the clock that had a limited release, such as watches, which have an interesting story or a family heirloom. Once upon a time pocket watches were a status symbol. All fought for the beauty and quality. Gold watches decorated with sophisticated engraving, diamonds and other jewels. Products were excellent and high quality. Manufacturers have tried to make timers more accurate and reliable. Watches adorned with red rubies, diamonds or sapphires. The clock to make gold. The front side customizing the best craftsmen: painted by hand watches, studded with precious stones, with fancy arrows and double-loaded discs, made of enamel and precious metals. Was not possible to find two identical hours. All this makes it difficult to estimate, making it arbitrary.
How to identify the clocks manufacturer and age?
Identifying the clock, look at the dial to determine the producer firms. If the dial is no company name, you must search the information on the back plate of hours. Identify which country or city came hours. Name engraved on the back side, means “signature.” After determining the place of manufacture, look at what the company produced watches in this city. Note: some of the “hard-identifiable” hours are quite valuable collectible. Therefore, it is important to be able to identify them.
To establish the true mechanism of the manufacturer, it is necessary to study design, taking into account the size, number and arrangement of precious stones, form, layout of the disc (full or 3/4), the location of parts of the disc, screws, shape control, etc.
After establishing the name of the manufacturer, you should be interested age hours. This information can be obtained by using the serial number written on the reverse side of the case. Often difficult to establish the exact age, but the following method will allow you to set the period of manufacture.
There are many distinctive features that allow you to set the age clock, manufactured before 1850. Hand-plant control arrows, for example, contain important clues in determining age. However, no one part in isolation can not be considered a sufficient factor for determining the age of hours. It has to be considered as a whole. First, determine the country in which they were made. For example: English silver watch will have a stamp on the body, which will apply to the London list of stamps to determine the date of production after 1697. Many mechanisms were placed in the body, made a few years before or after making mechanism itself.
Enclosure, which houses the mechanism is not a good clue to the determination of the original mechanism, and Serial Number shell does not help. It was common practice for manufacturers to transfer mechanism jewelers and manufacturers in buildings. The buyer chose the building to the mechanism. This explains why you can find expensive mechanism in cheap housing, and vice versa.
If the name and location of the manufacturer did not help, you may stamp contains the signature of a watchmaker, and its location. Some hours may be identified by comparing the models of each company, until it finds the correct model. Start by measuring the clock and then compares the various shapes and styles. Winding of the regulator and the shooter may also be a clue. The overall layout of articles about jewelry with precious stones: on the face or body clock, and the style of regulators, can help to identify the manufacturer of the product.
The numbers on the case can not be regarded as a hint, because many of the good hours could change the body and therefore have a different kind of numbers.
Demand, supply, attractiveness, condition and value should be the main factors in the evaluation of hours. Demand, perhaps the most important element. It can be determined by the number of buyers a rare item. The clock may be rare, but the number of collectors and investors may be more limited and collector will be as hard to find. The simple truth – the value of the object is determined price that someone is willing to pay.
Assessing the clock, consider all of the following factors before making a final conclusion. There is no priority to any item from the list.
- Demand: The interest was high or low, the attraction is very important. How many collectors want your rare watch?
- Supply and Availability: As rare watch? How much of total output will remain? Persistence.
- condition of the hull and machinery is very important parameter.
- Small registration numbers: the first made watches are more valuable than later models.
- controller type move, as the technical project of the mechanism of its uniqueness.
- historical value
- Age: How old clock?
- Case: The original body attaches more value.
- Is it a clock hand?
- Difficulty: repeater, chronometers, for example.
- Value: metal, style and/or the type of body, beauty and attractiveness.
- size pieces including precious, the type of plate (3/4 full and the bridge), a type of balance, the type of plant (key, lever, etc.), the number of regulators, gold ornaments, putting ornaments, gold chain .
- Level: What level of product? Intact (pristine), a used, high quality, average, satisfactory or marriage? You must determine the status and worth or value.
- Identification: How easy or difficult?
- future potential as an investment.
- Quality: (high or low grade), or watch a cheap (expensive) production.
Resorting to the evaluation of third-party experts should be noted that no pictures to understand what kind of watch and even more impossible to estimate. I advise you to either lay out the photos of all angles hours of online auctions like e-Bay and such, asking them to give at least a rough estimate of your watch. Or contact the specialists in thematic portals dedicated to antiques, special headings.
We need to find at least a minimum amount of such hours on sale, to identify all the advantages of your copy (unique, in which circulation was released, the age, they go there, what is the precision of the condition, manufacturer and so on), to name a price at the auction and wait for a buyer. The main thing is not miscalculate, but that no one is immune.
best to include the clock in the nearest antique shop (preferably several) and reserve estimate from the experts. You will be given a detailed description of the characteristics, history, manufacturer, and tell the approximate cost. Will issue a special document-expert opinion, stamped. From this conclusion, you can already repelled the proposal of its price at auction.
Before you do the assessment, you need to learn next in order to avoid serious disappointments:
- market price of the old clock, and their value to the owner – a completely different concept.
- mid price and the price in an antique showroom – different and very distant concept. Salons bully unrealistic prices.
- Working to rebuild the broken clock can be more expensive than themselves hours after repair.
- Up to 95% of hours depends on their condition. Same hours in the “killed” form can cost $1, and “like new” – $1000.
- Quite a broken clock is most often stand as spares. Body – as scrap.
- clock having artistic value, should be evaluated as a piece of art. Actually, the “clock” in them only in second place.
Rarity – the main value of an antique collector’s item. The price of some antique items, despite their advanced age, is extremely small, since at the time of their release has been innumerable, and has survived a lot of copies. An exception may be the subject of ownership of some key historical figure (the emperor, the president, military leader, musician), and if there is still a registered engraving, the price will go off-scale, even if the product is cheap.
How to determine old watch manufacturer and age
In order to identify rare watch, look at the dial or the disk and determine a company's products. If there is no name of the dial, it is necessary to search the information on the mechanism plate. Determine what country and/or city occurred watches. Name engraved on the reverse side,
|« Old Clock Collecting||Watch company Audemars Piguet »|